Problems with Zoom?
- Before class please check that the sound and video is working on your device.
- A computer is better for class than a tablet or phone
- If it’s possible, connect your computer to your router with an ethernet cable
- If you are using wifi, stay close to the router
- Don’t use other internet heavy apps (e.g. Netflix, video games) during the class because they will limit the bandwidth which causes audio and video problems
- If possible, have a back-up device to connect if your first option doesn’t work, e.g. another laptop, a phone or tablet.
- Turn off other unnecessary programs/apps on your device during the class
- Use a headset or phone headphones for better audio quality
PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS
You can’t hear anything
Things to check:
- Are your speakers/headphones connected?
- Are your speakers/headphones turned up?
- Try your speakers and headphones in a different device – Do they work? If not, try different speakers or headphones.
- Test your sound on your computer.
- Go to youtube.es and play a video.
- Do you hear anything? If you can, the sound is ok on your computer. If not, the sound settings need to be changed.
- Changing sound settings: Windows: Go to control panel > Sound
- Changing sound settings: Mac: Go to Apple > System Preferences > Sound
- Check you are using a device with speakers or headphones and they are connected.
- Check you don’t have your device connected to an external speaker through bluetooth.
- Use a different device.
The teacher can’t hear you
- Check you aren’t muted. Click the unmute button on the Zoom toolbar.
- Check you have connected your mic.
- Check your mic is working – test it using the audio test on the Zoom toolbar.
- Check your volume is turned up.
- Use your mobile as a mic – You will need to use the Zoom app, and log in both to Zoom on your computer, and in to the app on the phone.
- Use a different device.
Your sound quality is poor
- Use headphones with a mic.
- Turn off their video and see if it improves.
- Use other headphones.
- Turn down the mic volume a little and see if it improves.
- Use another device.
You can’t see the teacher
- Check the teacher’s video is turned on.
- Check you are looking at the Zoom meeting screen
- Check you have the gallery view turned on (the automatic setting is whoever is speaking is shown)
Your video is not working
- Check your video is turned on the Zoom toolbar.
- Are you using a webcam, laptop, or mobile device with a camera.
- Check the webcam is plugged in and working.
- Check if the camera is covered up.
- Use the chat box to send answers.
Poor internet connection
- Turn off your video.
- Use a LAN cable to connect to the router.
- Check there are no other devices using the internet – turn them off if possible.
The teacher has another meeting in progress and you can’t access the class.
- Email the teacher telling them you can’t access the class.
- Send a message to your classmates telling them you’re having this problem.
- Contact clic if you can’t do either of the above.