There is a trending topic these days about people learning a second and in some cases a third language. What statistic shows is that second language in most cases is Spanish. Here are some facts to expalin why Spanish has increase its demand in the previous years and will continue growing in the following ones:
1) Spanish is rank number 2 in terms of native speakers with 420 million people that speaks it as their first language, slightly over English 375 million but clearly way behind Chinese with 1.2 billion.
2) The Spanish population in the United States was confined next to the Mexican border, Florida and New York city, but not any more. It is expected that by 2024 Hispanics will be majority due to 2 facts: incoming of 650.000 annually into the U.S and the lower birth rate of black and white race.
3) It is part of the Indo-European family which are spoken by one of the thirds world population. Further on an be classified as Romance a language, including French, Portuguese, Italian and Romanian.
4) In the 13th century, King Alfonso X standardize spanish language for official use. So by the time that Columbus reached the West Hemisphere in 1492, Spanish reached the point where it could be easy to understand in ourdays.
5) The Royal Spanish Academy created in the 18th century is considered in charge to approve or decline any words and to umpire new regulations without having the force of law, but their decisions are followed in Spain and South America.
6) Spanish has far more speakers in South America brought to the new world when the colonization took place. Grammar and accent may vary between the language in Spain and Southamerica. Further more, it may vary form countrys inside South America but since differences are minor, communication between them can take place very easy.
7) Spanish and English have a lot in common of their vocabulary through cognates. The biggest difference of the language is the Spanish form of gender and a more extensive verb conjunction.
After you read this, I hope that you have a better understanding of the importance of learning Spanish due to all the reasons and facts given above.
Thats what we have been doing at Clic International House, teaching Spanish and cultural aspects.